free the land. free the people

Kaieteur News sleight of hand regarding Guysuco low records

Dear Sir:
Please allow me space to correct for the record two mis-statement of the facts regarding Guysuco.
Last year, production dropped to a 20-year low was how the penultimate paragraph ended in your July 3rd 2013 news item EU abolition of quotas… Sugar producers says time too short to fix problems.
Paragraph 8 of your July 2nd article GuySuCo’s Chairman tipped to be next CEO has the same mis-statement of facts.
Sir the 218,069 tonnes produced in 2012 is not “a 20-year low” but an all-time low in the history of Guysuco. I find it mildly amusing that your paper is now engaging in sleight of hand similar to that utilized by the government.
 “GuySuCo’s production was relatively low when compared to previous years” is what the government said about the record in a release of June 30, 2013 release (GuySuco honours champion workers despite difficulties last year)
Your papers accurately reflected the facts on Guysuco before, especially in the letters and statements by Tony Vieira, so this new turn raises more than a few eye brows. Those paying close attention would know that the PPP has been at the helm for the past twenty years. “A 20-year low” is a subtle propagandistic hint that there were other low records under previous governments. The historical record does not support this.
In the future I look forward to Kaieteur News accurately reporting the facts as it regards Guysuco. I’ll be paying keen attention as 2013 looks to be another record breaking year. The minister has already began preparing the minds of the people for future celebratory moments. (GuySuCo will not meet its sugar target this year – Dr Ramsammy, July 4, 2013)

humble regards,
Mark Jacobs

One response to “Kaieteur News sleight of hand regarding Guysuco low records”

Leave a Reply

Discover more from simple farmer

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading